One of Swimco’s Product Buyers said ‘I do’ in paradise and now you can share her tropical experience of a lifetime.
…upon getting engaged, it was clear to my loving husband, Jon, and me: we wanted a destination wedding.
I had attended my best friend’s destination wedding, and instantly loved the idea. Things that stood out as amazing included how close the guests became throughout the week and the sheer ease of the big day.
I highly recommend a travel agent. We liked ours – Pam from idoweddingsaway.ca, but there are many that specialize in destination weddings. You will love how they look after details that would normally stress you out, so you can focus on what matters.
We chose Huatulco, Mexico as our destination. We looked for somewhere with guaranteed heat, direct flights for guests, and a family-friendly resort (we have a little one of our own). My parents had been to the Dreams Huatulco Resort and Spa and raved about it. We loved their photos, and with gorgeous scenery we didn’t need much décor – A beautiful sunset and ocean was our wedding backdrop.
We spent a week relaxing, playing in the pool, dancing, and anything that you would do on vacation. It was stress-free and amazing.
On the big day I did a few laps in the pool that morning (being a competitive swimmer growing up, the water is where I feel the happiest), had breakfast with my sister, and went to the spa for hair and makeup. Thank goodness for hotel Wi-Fi so we could send fun texts between the bridal party and groomsmen to ensure Jon and I wouldn’t run into each other before the big moment.
The day was perfect – sunset ceremony, dinner, speeches, dancing, and our favourite: a lantern ceremony late at night. A beautiful way to begin my life as a Mrs!
- Hire a local photographer – they know the hidden gem sites, lighting, and timing of sunsets. They will not disappoint!
- Save on decorations – concentrate on your surroundings.
- Chat with a travel agent.
- If you dream it – it can happen. Ask the onsite wedding coordinator anything, you never know!
- Be patient communicating with the wedding coordinator – They are busy, but they care!
- Have your bridal party in something they’ll wear again. Try something versatile, like the Elan Eight-Way Dress that can be worn plenty of ways to suit each bridesmaid. Our groomsmen wore Quiksilver’s Clear Days shirt and walkshorts.
Melanie, Swimco Product Buyer